The professionals and entrepreneurs I work with are smart, successful thought leaders who have something relevant to share with the marketplace. They have years of experience in their chosen business sector, and decades of knowledge and experiences to share with others. What they don’t have is the time (and for most, the inkling) to figure out the book publishing process themselves. They just want a high-quality book, and they want it now. That’s why they hire me.
And as much as I like working with my clients, I sure wish they knew a few basic truths before beginning their author journey. I’m not suggesting that my clients should come to the author’s table with a full breadth of knowledge about how independent book publishing works. Nor is it necessary for them to have taken a course in literature or nonfiction writing. They don’t even need to know how to market the book to generate sales.
What would be great, however, is if they knew a few foundational truths before embarking on their author journey. These are simple basics that help us be more effective in turning professionals into authors, and authors into experts. When aspiring authors know these truths, we can then lead them to use their expertise to be visible and viable as they grow a business, as they brand (or rebrand) themselves, or as they make a graceful yet powerful transition from Corporate America into the endless possibilities of retirement.
At Write Your Life, we do what we do for a very good reason: We want to see every professional with a book of her own. It’s that simple.
In the process, we improve the reputation of independent book publishing with every single book we produce. And we’ve done well with that over the years, helping dozens of new authors create award-winning books. Here’s what they all knew or learned while working with us:
- I’m not here to convince you to write a book. If you’re not ready, that’s fine with me. But once you sign on with Write Your Life, the time for lallygagging is over. It’s time to get to work.
- You don’t have to be a professional writer to write a great book. That’s why you hire a professional publishing dream team. Get over perfectionism, tap into your expertise, and write the book already!
- Having a solid platform before you write your book is extremely helpful in producing a profitable book. Without it, you’re already behind the profitability and visibility curve.
- Online marketing is your top book marketing strategy (web marketing, SEO, social media, video, content, and email marketing).
- Speaking is your secret weapon. The fastest road to building a following for your author platform is public speaking. Most professionals already know this. Speaking from the stage is practically a requirement for success-minded authors to increase sales and build a solid brand. Don’t ignore it or avoid it.
- You need a professional website set up before your book is complete. This is your hub, and since you’ll be marketing throughout the publishing process, you’ll need a lead-generating website to drive people to for more information about you and your book.
- It’s bigger than the book. The book is one income stream from which many can flow. That’s why leveraging the book is one of the most important aspects of author coaching I provide. It’s priceless.
- Independent publishing is your best bet for maximum leverage of your book. Traditional or mainstream publishers aren’t in business to help you grow your consulting practice or get you more paid speaking gigs. As an independent published author, you can leverage your book in multiple ways to benefit you and your defined platform.
- You don’t know everything (that’s why you hire me). Just do what I tell you to do and no one gets hurt. I’ve done this for years, so trust my expertise . . . because you’re paying for it.
BONUS #10: Teamwork makes the dream work. Trusting the professionals on the Publishing Dream Team we assemble for you will save you countless hours and dollars. Remember, “self-publishing” doesn’t mean you do everything yourself.
Ask any successful author you know and they’ll tell you they wish they knew a bit more about the publishing process before they wrote their first book. It’s normal. And most likely, several of the above items will be on their list. Now you have a jumpstart on what you need to know to begin your author journey.
So what are you waiting for? It’s time to get published!
Anita R. Henderson is president of The Write Image Consulting, LLC and creator of the Write Your Life Coaching Program. Her work with professionals and entrepreneurs has resulted in multiple award-winning books and has helped authors grow their media and online visibility, speaker platforms, industry credibility, and overall confidence in their ability to write a compelling, high-quality book and leverage it in their business or career.